Sequoia Seminar, as the program conducted by the Creative Initiative Foundation was called, leased part of Quaker Center from 1950 until 1977, at which time about 3 acres in the northwest corner of the Manley parcel containing their Sunrise Lodge, parking lot and connecting road, were sold to them and the existing use agreement ended.
Those who want to know more about this organization that figures prominently in the history of Quaker Center, especially during the 1960s and 1970s, can find a great deal of information on the internet.
By Googling the names of the authors – Steven M. Gelber and Martin L. Cook – their complete 287-page history of Sequoia Seminar: Saving the Earth – The History of a Middle-class Millenarian Movement can be read online.
Other information can be found by Googling “Foundation for Global Community”, the final name of their governing organization. This entity dissolved as a California non-profit corporation in 2010 after selling their property adjacent to Quaker Center and converting all of their assets to cash. Their directors then distributed the total of $17.7 million to the 197 organizations listed on their website.
The facilities on that property continue to be used by another completely unrelated organization which does business under the name “Sequoia Retreats”.